The original neighborhood contained 54 buildings in a planned residential setting that saw construction beginning in 1953. By 1958, the neighborhood expanded and saw construction of homes through 1967. Currently there are about 120 homes in the entire neighborhood.
The original neighborhood was recognized as a “historic district” on December 15, 2015. It is listed in the US National Register of Historic Places and is known as “Happy Hollow Heights Historic Distric” and is distinguished for its diverse architecture of Ranch, Mid-Century Modern, and Split-Level styles.
West Lafayette, Indiana
The town of West Lafayette was a merger of three adjacent suburban towns known as Chauncey, Oakwood and Kingston. The original name of the new town was called Chauncey and it formed its own municipal government in 1866. It remained a small town until Purdue University opened in 1869. In 1871 there was a motion to annex the area into Lafayette because it could not provide its own infrastructure. The vote did not pass due to the high costs of the improvements that the town needed.
In May 1888, the elected officials voted to change its name to West Lafayette. By this time, the growth of the university was fueling the growth of the once little town.
In the 2010 census, there were 29,796 people in 11,945 households. In 2013 the city annexed much of Purdue University academic campus and residence halls.